August 6, 2013

The Hobbit: Lord Elrond Costume: Hip Armor

The hip armor was my next challenge. Again, I’m thankful for the dress form because without it, I would not have been able to do the math on how to curve those plates around the hips and meet up in the back.

Lord Elrond hip armor pattern.

I saw the pattern that was posted online, but I still wanted to do it my way. So my paper pattern is different. Mine has a belt and tabs hanging down to serve are posts for the lames/plates. It was crucial that the pattern is accurate, all the way down to the location of the stud holes.

Lord Elrond hip armor pattern.

Then I cut the vinyl and punched the holes.

Lord Elrond hip armor ready for assembly.

Then I made the silver clay trim and swirl designs.  Yup, a lot of clay work.

Lord Elrond hip armor polymer clay trim.

Lord Elrond hip armor polymer clay trim.

Then I laid out the swirls, superglued them in place, and painted on the Mod Podge.

Lord Elrond hip armor polymer clay trim.

Lord Elrond hip armor getting a Mod Podge seal and shine.

Lord Elrond hip armor with a Mod Podge seal and shine.

Hammer the pieces together, and there you are!

Lord Elrond hip armor complete.

What’s not shown in the photos is I attached a belt (also using studs) to the waist of the hip armor assembly. It closes with a buckle in the back.


No comments: